[quake3] non-cheatable game

Diego de Estrada diego1609 at gmail.com
Tue May 15 22:49:26 EDT 2007

> No totally, a "Trigger Bot" is an example of where sniffing the data
> stream can give an advantage.  It works wonderfully with line of sight
> weapons and AFAK there would be no possible way for the server to
> detect.

What I've said is that if both items I mentioned are taken into
account, they imply an acceptable level of security. So the trigger
bot is an example of my point.

> Encrypting the data stream would help prevent sniffing the data, but of
> it's still possible to perform man in the middle attacks.

Encrypting the stream won't make any difference, trust me. The
security of the protocol must not come from obfuscation, but from the
strength of the design, specially in an open source project like this.