[quake3] feature: advanced demo navigation

Neil Toronto ntoronto at cs.byu.edu
Thu Mar 8 01:04:06 EST 2007

Thilo Schulz wrote:
> On Thursday 08 March 2007 00:27, Jorge Pena wrote:
>
>> Oooohhh, good idea! So then the server would give the information to the
>> person recording, no? So that'd still pose a risk, no? Either way I'd like
>> to see how this is implemented with a patch if it were possible (If not,
>> it's alright), it just seems very interesting.
>>

> Don't get your hopes too high. All this daydreaming is nice but up to now
> there has been noone stepping up saying "I'll code this". As long as there's
> noone putting his time into it, all this simply won't happen.
> As Zakk already said - if someone were to make a patch it has the chance of
> being accepted or at least end up in the patch section for ioquake3.

I'm not volunteering for this - I don't have the time - but I just
realized that I *do* have the Ultra Freeze Tag code. (I had lost it in a
reformat, but someone sent it to me just recently. That was nice.) It
has both MVDs and SSDs.

SSDs, IMO, are a bad idea for permanent inclusion, because small changes
to the netcode necessitate changes in the SSD code, which is kind of
hairy and scary. (Plus, it's very easy to forget.) MVDs, on the other
hand, would be perfect. They're very general and frighteningly easy to
implement. All you'd need is a restriction that the player taking the
demo be a spectator.

If anyone wants to do MVDs, I'd be happy to supply a reference
implementation. That should cut the work down considerably.

Neil