[quake3] feature: advanced demo navigation

Neil Toronto ntoronto at cs.byu.edu
Wed Mar 7 19:19:36 EST 2007

Lovely self-reply...

Neil Toronto wrote:
> *snip*
>
> Server-side demos might be easier to do in-engine. We had to jump
> through quite a few hoops to make it work well.

It was here we learned that the QVM has the same endian-ness as the
architecture it ran on, which surprised us a bit. We had to write our
own hton*() and ntoh*() functions...

Anyway, *supposing* someone did this, it might be easiest to record
every player's commands and userinfo strings, and play them back as if
the players were actually connected. Then the mod wouldn't need support
for the feature - it would just think some players were connected. Well,
it would need to know when a demo was being played back so it could keep
players from joining the game.

This assumes, of course, that server events proceed deterministically.
Hmm... maybe this is harder than I thought.

The engine used to have a "serverrecord" command that recorded
server-side demos, but I don't know how it worked or what's become of
it, and I don't know how to play them back.

Neil