[quake3] feature: advanced demo navigation

Neil Toronto ntoronto at cs.byu.edu
Wed Mar 7 19:07:46 EST 2007

Ultra Freeze Tag had server-side demos. It was quite a hack - in a good
way. The demo files were only a bit larger than MVDs of the same match.
You could even play them back on the server, and have your team connect
and watch the demo together. It was just like watching a regular match,
but it was recorded.

Even though they were so much more useful than MVDs, people didn't tend
to use them because they were so hard to distribute. MVDs got more
attention just because of that. You don't have to have access to the
server to swipe an MVD of your clan match - you just need to be a coach
or a spectator, and record it locally.

Server-side demos might be easier to do in-engine. We had to jump
through quite a few hoops to make it work well. And for the curious: no,
I'm not stepping up to implement any of this. I've got grad school and
PyQuake3 to do - other than that, I'm just a [quake3] troll. :)

Neil