[quake3] Re: Auto Downloads

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Thu Jul 26 06:31:53 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 25 July 2007 19:25, monk at rq3.com wrote:
> Anyway, I am sorry for being so off-topic and verbose.  I find the whole
> programmer versus end user mindset thing interesting as it crops up in UI
> design, program implementation, technical documentation, etc.  I'll stop
> yammering on the subject so the list can get back to more down-to-earth
> business!

It's not programmer vs. end user. It is just a matter of users with a bit of
brain having the ability to do a case-by-case decision whether to download
this weird looking "zzzznew.pk3" from that server noone is playing on for
some reason but that he wants to try out.
Basically, what you're saying is like "Because most users don't know how to
enable firewalls properly, we don't really need to go to the hassle and ship
our OS with a firewall, now do we?"
We're not here to make this thing fool proof. It is just a compromise.

--
Thilo Schulz