[quake3] Addition to DLL loading code?

sciogoon at gmail.com sciogoon at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 08:20:35 EDT 2007

On 7/16/07, Doug Winger <justdoug at socal.rr.com> wrote:
> >So to fix this I would search all paths for the DLL and the QVM, and
> >if a DLL could be loaded for the same mod, go ahead and try to load
> >it.
>
> I won't touch much of the balance except to say some of it sounds
> rather system specific and that mods, by their nature, should not
> suddenly carry the player from their expected base game and into a
> Brave New World that they might not
> have been expecting. Having them obtain resources from the base game
> is one thing; forcing the base game into a mod's territory is
> another. Let the client decide if they're hankering to play a mod on
> their own and not have the server determine it for them.
>
> I might be misreading the intent behind your idea, though.

Let me explain.

There is no option. The serverinfo has fs_game set to myMod, and
that's what the client has to set too, in order to sync the data (even
if there is no difference between baseq3 and myMod). Wether server or
client download are enabled or not, it doesn't matter. If there are no
client side pk3s to download from the server, and the server doesn't
auto-kick (that is, it's a server mod, for example it changes the
damages of weapons), all the client does is it creates a folder called
myMod next to baseq3, all config saves will go there. Nothing else.

I have two things in my baseq3 folder: the Q3A non-modded QVM and DLL.
The difference between the QVM and DLL are, that the DLL executes ~25%
faster (and can contain "my own personal modifications", like a change
in the hud color) BUT: the game what the client and the server are
playing is not baseq3, but myMod. myMod has no qvms, which means the
client has to load the baseq3 code. AND THE PROBLEM HERE IS THAT THE
QVMs LOAD INSTEAD OF THE DLLs!