[quake3] Addition to DLL loading code?

Doug Winger justdoug at socal.rr.com
Mon Jul 16 03:12:22 EDT 2007

>So to fix this I would search all paths for the DLL and the QVM, and
>if a DLL could be loaded for the same mod, go ahead and try to load
>it.
>
>I would also search the homepath for DLLs. What's wrong with that? Can
>files with a .DLL extension be downloaded, and that posseses threats?

I won't touch much of the balance except to say some of it sounds
rather system specific and that mods, by their nature, should not
suddenly carry the player from their expected base game and into a
Brave New World that they might not
have been expecting. Having them obtain resources from the base game
is one thing; forcing the base game into a mod's territory is
another. Let the client decide if they're hankering to play a mod on
their own and not have the server determine it for them.

I might be misreading the intent behind your idea, though.

But as to the above... Let's see: a binary download chock full of
executable code being automagically downloaded, plugged into a
trusted application and then run within it and all behind the player's back...

Much mischief would follow, I think.

- Doug