[quake3] Yes Timbo, The Site Is Moving Hosts

Jorge Peña jorgepblank at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 00:57:05 EDT 2007

> That is fine, as long as upgrading is easy.

About that...I meant install it from the very beginning, not upgrade from
phpBB 2 to 3, although that's easy as well if you insist (I just did it a
few hours ago). Trust me, there's nothing to lose, tons to gain. Installing
phpBB2 then upgrading to 3 would be a waste of time (Upgrading is possible
and easy, though). I can almost guarantee you, honestly haha, I'm just
breath-taken at phpBB3.

> I am going to use WP, it is just going to be a PITA to set up and replace
all the icculusnews stuff.

Oh that's what you meant, alright. I was about to ask you if that's really
necessary, why you can't just start from scratch/new but I take it that
that's all valuable information for archiving. One possible solution would
be to simply keep icculusnews on the server in some place, and link to it
with something such as "Older Stuff/Archives" or what have you. That's just
a possibility though, if icculusnews posts are stored in a database, you
could dump them and then look for some type of plug-in that allows you to
import them in easily (Other than manually), but you're right that would be
a PITA. I think that would be the quick and dirtiest solution, just keep it
static and link to it from within the new site.

Other than that, WordPress will also be pretty sweet. Just get a
WordPress.Com account so you can get an API key, so that you could set up
the Akistmet plug-in (Included in WordPress) to catch spam (Works wonders).
Then you can get the AdSense Deluxe plug-in or something similar for AdSense
inserting (Though there's also AdSense Manager,
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/adsense-manager/ ). I suggest you get a
nice, basic theme with widget support (Makes things easier). Something like
the K2 framework ( http://www.getk2.com ) would be sweet. You could either
use that stock style or find one here
http://k2.stikipad.com/docs/show/K2+Styles+and+Mods . Hook yourself up with
the google analytics (
http://www.semiologic.com/software/google-analytics/) plug-in and the
google sitemap (
http://www.arnebrachhold.de/2005/06/05/google-sitemaps-generator-v2-final )
plug-in. Then just configure the wp-cache plug-in (It's automatically
configured actually, but you can tune it) so that your wordpress wont crash
after so many hits, and you're set. I know this sounds like a lot of trouble
but just look into these things when you have time and you'll see how nice
they are, plus it's relatively easy to install plug-ins anyways, and most
mentioned are already included, you just need to activate them.

By the way, are you paying for a server? Hmm, wait what?! $400 for two
years? I'm just wondering cause servers from DH cost like ~$300 and up per
month I think, then again I'm not sure. Also, because what you seem to want,
Subversion, Mailing-Lists, and all those other things, are included in
normal web hosting (SSH access, mail, etc. etc.), I don't know about
lisp-cgi though. I have 252 GBs of space and 2.896 TBs of bandwidth each
month, and I'm only paying $10 a month? I actually started with much less
but they increase it for you every now and then. I'm just wondering cause
you might be paying more than you need to, but I'm pretty sure you know what
you're doing.

Anyways, there's a dreamhost IRC channel in freenode ( #dreamhost ) if you
ever feel like talking to people that work there/use dreamhost (It's not an
official support method though).

But yeah everything you're mentioning is really easy to do thanks to the
easy and versatile dreamhost panel. It's not as lame as Cpanel, but also
features things like one-click-installs or whatever so you can install
mediawiki (phpBB as well but it's version 2). It automatically sets up your
MySQL db's, it installs phpmyadmin on each mysql's url, man, you'll love it
haha.**