[quake3] Yes Timbo, The Site Is Moving Hosts

Zachary Slater zakk at timedoctor.org
Mon Aug 27 02:22:45 EDT 2007

Jorge Peña wrote:
>  > That is fine, as long as upgrading is easy.
>
> About that...I meant install it from the very beginning, not upgrade
> from phpBB 2 to 3, although that's easy as well if you insist ( I just
> did it a few hours ago). Trust me, there's nothing to lose, tons to
> gain. Installing phpBB2 then upgrading to 3 would be a waste of time
> (Upgrading is possible and easy, though ). I can almost guarantee you,
> honestly haha, I'm just breath-taken at phpBB3.
>
>  > I am going to use WP, it is just going to be a PITA to set up and
> replace all the icculusnews stuff.
>
> Oh that's what you meant, alright. I was about to ask you if that's
> really necessary, why you can't just start from scratch/new but I take
> it that that's all valuable information for archiving. One possible
> solution would be to simply keep icculusnews on the server in some
> place, and link to it with something such as "Older Stuff/Archives" or
> what have you. That's just a possibility though, if icculusnews posts
> are stored in a database, you could dump them and then look for some
> type of plug-in that allows you to import them in easily ( Other than
> manually), but you're right that would be a PITA. I think that would be
> the quick and dirtiest solution, just keep it static and link to it from
> within the new site.
>
> Other than that, WordPress will also be pretty sweet. Just get a
> WordPress.Com account so you can get an API key, so that you could set
> up the Akistmet plug-in (Included in WordPress ) to catch spam (Works
> wonders). Then you can get the AdSense Deluxe plug-in or something
> similar for AdSense inserting (Though there's also AdSense Manager,
> http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/adsense-manager/ ). I suggest you
> get a nice, basic theme with widget support ( Makes things easier).
> Something like the K2 framework ( http://www.getk2.com ) would be sweet.
> You could either use that stock style or find one here
> http://k2.stikipad.com/docs/show/K2+Styles+and+Mods . Hook yourself up
> with the google analytics (
> http://www.semiologic.com/software/google-analytics/ ) plug-in and the
> google sitemap (
> http://www.arnebrachhold.de/2005/06/05/google-sitemaps-generator-v2-final
> ) plug-in. Then just configure the wp-cache plug-in ( It's automatically
> configured actually, but you can tune it) so that your wordpress wont
> crash after so many hits, and you're set. I know this sounds like a lot
> of trouble but just look into these things when you have time and you'll
> see how nice they are, plus it's relatively easy to install plug-ins
> anyways, and most mentioned are already included, you just need to
> activate them.
>
> By the way, are you paying for a server?

Nope, can't afford that.

  Hmm, wait what?! $400 for two
> years? I'm just wondering cause servers from DH cost like ~$300 and up
> per month I think, then again I'm not sure. Also, because what you seem
> to want, Subversion, Mailing-Lists, and all those other things, are
> included in normal web hosting ( SSH access, mail, etc. etc.)

Right, not moving ioquake3's SVN or mailing lists, at least not yet.

>, I don't
> know about lisp-cgi though.

This was a lame attempt at a joke.

> I have 252 GBs of space and 2.896 TBs of
> bandwidth each month, and I'm only paying $10 a month?

Right, there is a monthly but I saw the light regarding how much cheaper
it is to pay once and not again for a few years...

>I actually
> started with much less but they increase it for you every now and then.
> I'm just wondering cause you might be paying more than you need to, but
> I'm pretty sure you know what you're doing.

Yep.

> Anyways, there's a dreamhost IRC channel in freenode ( #dreamhost ) if
> you ever feel like talking to people that work there/use dreamhost (It's
> not an official support method though ).

It was mostly useless last time I looked at it.

> But yeah everything you're mentioning is really easy to do thanks to the
> easy and versatile dreamhost panel
> It automatically sets up
> your MySQL db's, it installs phpmyadmin on each mysql's url, man, you'll
> love it haha.//

Yep, I've been using it on gameqablog.com for a few weeks, really
enjoying how little I have to play Sys Admin to my own crap with WP +
dreamhost.

--
- Zachary J. Slater
zakk at timedoctor.org