[quake3] Planning, Roadmap and future

Zachary Slater zakk at timedoctor.org
Sun Aug 26 13:07:07 EDT 2007

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z72/koncak/486919.gif

> I'll get started by apologizing if the things I'm going to discuss have
> been mentioned to-death, and I should make it clear that I have not set
> out to criticize ioquake3 in it's current form.

Please feel free to make suggestions. But keep in mind that this isn't a
democracy, the lead maintainers decide what goes in, and svn access can
be revoked by myself.

> I also think it is a good idea for the project to fork into 2 branches.

No.

> - Embedded scripting language (Lua, Python anyone?).

Yes this is cool, somebody already started doing python and put it up on
sourceforge I think.

> - Better control for server admins.

Can be handled by tools, doesn't need to be in the engine afaik.

> I'm sorry if some of these sound lame but these are features widely
> requested in game engine discussions on my games development degree.

I'm still waiting for Fortran 88 support in cryengine :)

http://bugzilla.icculus.org/

> discuss new features, plan
> development and receive feedback.

I'm going to set up a wiki so people can be satiated for their desire to
interact there if it helps. There is also the webforum, which I'm going
to replace.

> Has anyone previously discussed moving
> the development side of the site to SourceForge or similar?

No. No. No. No. No.

> Like I said, I am not criticizing any of the work that has already been
> done!

No problem, thanks for the suggestions.

--
- Zachary J. Slater