[quake3] Mp3 support patch

Zachary J. Slater zakk at timedoctor.org
Wed Oct 4 17:24:23 EDT 2006

Zachary J. Slater wrote:
> Thilo,
> If you really feel that the code is solid, and won't change much, apply
> it to the trunk, but not the rc branch. I have no qualms about mp3
> decoding support being bad (I was never concerned about patents) at this
> point, neither Tim nor Ludwig have voiced opinions for or against (I'd
> like one or both of them to do so).
>

> About mp3 for this project in general.
> I don't feel great about it, I'd rather just stick with ogg vorbis, but
> if it attracts more developers to the project, and projects using it
> like Tremulous and other mods turned stand-alone...

Actually, let me rescind that.
After going and getting lunch and thinking about it more, I don't think
there is a good argument for supporting mp3 /in ioquake3 per se/.

If you want mp3, keep a patch, you can even put that patch into the
ioquake3 website. I really want the elite force stuff in there too. I
think we already mirror the files.

Maintain it.

I am still not very concerned about the patents, more so the extra code
to maintain on the three major platforms ioquake3 supports. Major
developers are using ogg vorbis already, and are very happy with it.

However, I would rather morons who are too short sighted to use ogg
vorbis or see it as a feature transcode their mp3s to ogg vorbis or go
out of their way to get an mp3 patch, then see that there is ogg vorbis
support and switch to that. This points out a huge flaw in ioquake3,
that we can't very easily support n and y feature without ruining the
philosophy behind the stewardship.

Which is what this really is, in the end, stewardship. Lets keep it that
way, I don't mind if people fork, but I would rather it not come to
that. So this sort of incomplete support of mp3 may encourage people to
use ogg vorbis, or they'll use the patch and actually hopefully learn
about ogg vorbis on the way to the patch.

Please also keep in mind that the opinions of those without svn (write)
access are taken into account, but not representative of the opinions of
those with svn. I know a lot of people may like to think that they are
part of the project, and I don't want to piss them off by correcting
every "We..." on the list.

However, it must be made clear that this isn't a democracy. We must be
discriminatory in order to keep the code manageable. Some of my other
projects got "support" from developers who ended up leaving and not
maintaining their additions (autotools on OES, for instance). I will not
stand for that on ioquake3.

That is my thinking on the subject, my apologies for not being clear
earlier, I'm very busy with paying work, and my memory is poor.
--
- Zachary J. Slater
zakk at timedoctor.org
zacharyslater at gmail.com