[quake3] Intel Mac Services

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Wed May 17 17:17:34 EDT 2006

Hello,

The gdb is no magic of the devil. It is actually very easy to use without
having to learn pages of documentation. When I first got into it, I was
actually surprised all there is common sense.

By the way.. guess what I found at google at *first try* with these keywords:
+gdb +quickstart

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 21:32, Scott Harper wrote:
> I don't suppose there's a reference online about "Jumping into Q3
> Source" that would help me sift through the code?  This is the first
> exposure I've ever had to trying to help a project where many people
> were involved, so I'm very new to how it all works...  Sorry for
> bringing along all these newbie questions.

If you want to learn how it works, set a breakpoint at the start of the main()
function and step through your program. Depending on how much time you want
to spare you can decide on how deeply you want to debug into these functions,
or into which part of the engine.

> My education in software
> development is still pretty new, and more rooted in the world of Java
> than C/C++.  (That's what many universities are using lately...)

Sad but true. Had to do Java practical, too.. I didn't really like it as I
definitely prefer C :)

> everything I know about the unix side of my OS I've had to pick up as
> I've gone along... ^^

Learning by doing is the best way of learning new stuff, IMHO. If your time is
limited, it's probably not a smart decision to read the entire documentation
where they explain how a program can be used to tip over bags of rice in
china. Documentation is good for reference, no question. But if you're new to
something, you're better off with the basics.

--
Thilo Schulz