Can't get code to compile in VC Express

Tim Angus tim at ngus.net
Sat Jan 14 14:18:08 EST 2006

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:44:40 -0700 Tim wrote:
> On win32, does VC yield more optimized code, or is
> that just a rumor?

If may ever so slightly, because VC is targetted only at x86 and thus
can afford to take shortcuts that wouldn't be acceptable in gcc. The
code that is compiled in the MinGW and MSVC builds is for all intents
and purposes identical, so there is no performance advantage there.

> I would be more than happy to use MinGW if there
> is no real disadvantage, thanks.

Based purely on my own anecdotal testing of 1.32b versus ioq3 compiled
with MinGW, there is no measurable difference in terms of framerate, so
I don't perceive there to be a disadvantage.