[quake3] PNG Support

Neil Toronto ntoronto at cs.byu.edu
Mon Apr 24 01:31:47 EDT 2006

Ludwig Nussel wrote:

>Joerg Dietrich wrote:
>

>>[...]
>>On this way we could get rid of the local copy of jpeg-lib. I don't want
>>to know how many long since fixed errors hide in there.
>>The only problem are the two JPEG-writing functions in tr_image.c, which
>>should be replaced by calls to the system jpeg-lib, which is anyways
>>linked from SDL_image.
>>

>Aside from that I vote against adding support for all kinds of file
>formats of the day just for the purpose having a long feature list
>to show on the website.

Good show, mate. :/

Presumably, PNG support would exist to provide a lossless compression
format, which Quake 3 currently lacks. Quake 3 maps usually have 95%
compressed JPGs (whatever 95% meant in whatever software they used to
compress them), which can create texture seams on repeating textures, or
in places where two textures are *supposed* to match up. In places where
it matters, you could use a PNG instead for roughly 3x the size, and it
gaurantees you no seams whatsoever.

I've spent some time mapping for Q3, and I can tell you unequivocally
that the mappers would love this feature.

>cu
>Ludwig

Neil