[quake3] PNG Support

Joerg Dietrich Dietrich_Joerg at t-online.de
Sun Apr 23 08:26:30 EDT 2006

Robert Lundmark wrote:
> Would people find the feature useful? I like the thought because it's
> lossless and therefore great if someone else wants to edit or reuse the
> graphics. It's also smaller than tga. I would also like to know if ogg
> vorbis is supported.

Ogg Vorbis is supported, you just need to enable it during compilation.
Than you can use Vorbis files as easily as Wav files in your new maps.
I even made an oggified Demo-Pak0 for testing purposes.
For the PNG-support : I support that! But it would be far more easy
to "borrow" the SDL_image implementation of R_LoadImage() from the
now defunct quakesrc.org Quake 3 port. SDL_image supports a wide range
of image formats even PNG.
On this way we could get rid of the local copy of jpeg-lib. I don't want
to know how many long since fixed errors hide in there.
The only problem are the two JPEG-writing functions in tr_image.c, which
should be replaced by calls to the system jpeg-lib, which is anyways
linked from SDL_image.

Joerg