[quake3] Re: MD4 Model Support

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Fri Sep 23 15:01:34 EDT 2005

On Friday 23 September 2005 19:13, Tim Angus wrote:
> I applied the patch, albeit with RAVENMD4 undefined by default. I'm not
> sure I see the value of having MDR support without an interface into
> cgame. Trouble is, creating such an interface breaks compatibility with
> baseq3, and I believe that is something that is to be avoided at the
> moment. Such an interface could be similarly #ifdefed to this patch
> though; I don't think anybody would object to that.

Actually, no interface change is needed at all. When calling RE_RegisterModel
that function will check whether the suffix is ".mdr" and will then try to
load the model as an mdr model. The only thing that needs to be adapted
slightly is the cgame to support new kinds of models. Doing animations is
also entity based (frame xxx is now to be "played") and does not need any
modification either. So enabling it by default will not hurt compatibility at
all - but it may still be desirable to have it disabled by default, so you
don't get any argument from me.

--
Thilo Schulz