[quake3] Hey all -- who here is an X config god? ;)

tom fogal tfogal at cisunix.unh.edu
Mon Sep 5 23:37:49 EDT 2005

 <002001c5b28f$ab0bec80$6e01a8c0 at sixfour>"David Chait" writes:
<snip>
> I'm trying to get Q3A base running to try porting it to some new
> platforms/cpus.  I've just installed the latest nv drivers (have a
> GeFX5200), ran Xconfigurator, went back and manually adjusted to use "glx"
> and "nvidia" in the respective places, have even rebooted, but I'm getting:
>
> Initializing OpenGL display
> ...setting mode 3: 640 480
> SDL_SetVideoMode failed: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
>
> ... and does that last message a dozen times or so.
>
> I ran some app that verified the GLX config (i.e., it showed me the NV 2.0
> driver, etc.).  I'm running X/KDE in 1280x1024, native res of my Dell
> 1704FP.

What does 'glxinfo' give?  In particular, does "direct rendering: " say
"Yes"?

> Is there a commandline arg to start in a given res (I've scoured the
> internet, didn't find a thing, except lots of 'dead sites')?  Not sure it'd
> help, but I thought trying in 1280x1024 to match the current X mode might
> help.

Not sure, but you can try making sure 640x480 is supported.

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XFree86.conf

look, for a 'Section "Screen"'.  You want to make sure your "Modes"
line contains 640x480, in addition to what you normally like to run X
at.  For example, here's mine:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "screen-one"
        Device "agp-one"
        Monitor "monitor"
        DefaultDepth 24
        SubSection "Display"
                Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
                Virtual 0 0
                Depth 24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

It might take some grepping to figure out which "Screen" is the active
one, and make sure you add the required Modes to the appropriate depth
(based on the DefaultDepth and Depth), but you get the idea.

HTH,

-tom

<snip>