Hey all -- who here is an X config god? ;)

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Mon Sep 5 23:04:16 EDT 2005

Figure one of you knows linux X setup WAY better than I do:

I had a box running SDL/GL within the last year, but haven't tried GL at all
recently.  Inbetween, I've switched monitors twice (and reconfigured X for
different resolution support), and only used X for small things, no gaming.
Most work has been via remote ssh into the box. ;)

I'm trying to get Q3A base running to try porting it to some new
platforms/cpus.  I've just installed the latest nv drivers (have a
GeFX5200), ran Xconfigurator, went back and manually adjusted to use "glx"
and "nvidia" in the respective places, have even rebooted, but I'm getting:

Initializing OpenGL display
...setting mode 3: 640 480
SDL_SetVideoMode failed: Couldn't find matching GLX visual

... and does that last message a dozen times or so.

I ran some app that verified the GLX config (i.e., it showed me the NV 2.0
driver, etc.).  I'm running X/KDE in 1280x1024, native res of my Dell
1704FP.

Is there a commandline arg to start in a given res (I've scoured the
internet, didn't find a thing, except lots of 'dead sites')?  Not sure it'd
help, but I thought trying in 1280x1024 to match the current X mode might
help.

Thanks all!  Probably something stupid (again, it WAS working once upon a
time!).

Regards,

- David Chait