[quake3] Re: gpl anticheater

fs admin at www0.org
Mon Sep 5 02:34:20 EDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 09:34:32PM -0400, tom fogal wrote:
>    This General Public License does not permit incorporating your
>    program into proprietary programs. If your program is a subroutine
>    library, you may consider it more useful to permit linking
>    proprietary applications with the library. If this is what you want
>    to do, use the GNU Lesser General Public License instead of this
>    License.
>
> I take this to mean that a non-GPL program cannot link in a GPL
> library, and to imply that the converse is true.  Of course, this text
> isn't actually part of the license, just a little hint at the bottom.

That part says a gpl program can't be incorporated into programs of
proprietary licences, not exactly that case. And I think a this point, a
legal mailing list would be better. I'll check if FSF offers mailing to
help in such matters.

by the way, just in case that's what you meant, I find it of little
importance to have such a program in a way that ships with the q3
sources. having the gamers get the anticheater afterwars seems a
technicality to me that only spends some minor time to the gamers
(exactly like pb does..).