[quake3] Re: Questions about compile options (ioq3 on Solaris).

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Fri Oct 28 13:47:11 EDT 2005

Tim Angus wrote:
> HAVE_VM_NATIVE specifies that the platform is capable of using native
> libs.

This one can be removed. It was needed on 64bit architectures before
I changed the vm interface from int to long.

> HAVE_VM_COMPILED specifies that the platform has a bytecode JIT
> compiler.
> There is no define HAVE_VM_INTERPRETED since in theory the interpreter
> should work everywhere (though it is the slowest option).
>
> DLL_ONLY comes from before ioq3 as a means of disabling any bytecode
> mechanisms. I'm not convinced this is really useful anymore, perhaps it
> should be removed.

I vote for dropping it. Noone is going to test builds with that
enabled anyways.

> As an aside, I've been thinking for a while that HAVE_VM_* should really
> live in a header rather than defined by the build system. The main
> reason for this is that currently only the linux and mingw builds have
> these defined since nobody has added the relevant bits to the build
> systems on OS X and VC. In other words these builds can ONLY use
> interpreted bytecode at the moment. Obviously it's trivial to fix the
> build systems, but from a maintenance point of view it makes more sense
> to save us the bother (now and in future) and put the defines in a
> header. Also, with the exception of x86_64 for now, I don't really see
> the HAVE_VM_* defines as being something that should be end user
> optional, especially since the runtime behaviour can be chosen using the
> vm_* cvars. Opinions?

Switch to Automake+Autoconf. That would also give us the tools to
handle the tests for the stuff missing on Solaris. I even volunteer
to create and maintain the necessary files. There is no gettext nor
any gnome/kde/<your favorite bleeding edge tech with special m4
macros here> involved so I'm confident that it's not going to be a
mess. We probably can't avoid libtool though.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel
 //\   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Development