removing jpeglib from svn

Tim Angus tim at ngus.net
Sun Oct 9 21:21:27 EDT 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:25:30 +1000 Jamie wrote:
> >The non-bytecode support in q3lcc is completely unnecessary and
> >unused, whereas jpeg support is fundamentally necessary and used
> >throughout. Messing with the unused portions of q3lcc is not at all
> >analogous to changing the jpeg code.
>
> You misread me.

...or you don't make your point clearly enough. ;)

> Do you also plan to include all of SDL in the source?

No, since the point of SDL is that it is a library. It hides all the
platform specific stuff away for you.

> When the OpenAL
> patch is merged, do you plan to ship the openal library also?

I think the best plan with OpenAL is to dynamically load it like OpenGL.
If it fails (i.e. doesn't exist), fall back on platform specific/SDL
sound.

libjpeg is not like either of these examples since it is not platform
specific and Q3 needs it all the time. Delegation of maintenance is not
a big enough pro to outweigh the cons, especially since what is there
works fine and thus doesn't need any maintenance.