[quake3] Re: removing jpeglib from svn

Jamie Wilkinson jaq at spacepants.org
Sat Oct 8 19:46:01 EDT 2005

This one time, at band camp, Tim Angus wrote:
>On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 12:16:37 +1000 Jamie wrote:
>> I've got a patch at bug#2408, which builds, but I haven't yet had a
>> chance to test that it doesn't crash -- I plan on doing that tonight,
>> but if anyone else wants to grab it and try it, feel free to do so and
>> complain that it blew up.
>
>I've mentioned before* that I don't really see the point in messing with
>what already works unless you get some intrinsic (and significant)
>benefit. I don't mind the idea of simply updating the jpeg source that
>is there to a more recent version (providing it is done carefully), but
>dynamically linking sounds like a pain we don't need. It's particularly
>a problem on Windows, where you'd thereafter need to request the user to
>go and find libjpeg.dll (or whatever) or distribute it with your
>binary/source. This is prone to problems.

Oh; your comments recently about stripping non-bytecode support from q3lcc
seemed to indicate you felt otherwise.  Thanks for the clarification.

Without knowing anything about windows, is it actually that difficult to get
a jpeglib DLL to either build against, or use to play the game?

>For anybody who actually wants to do something useful with the source,
>Windows is the primary platform (like it or not), and it needs to be
>taken into consideration.

I was under the impression the icculus project was all about Linux support.

>> Does quake3 actually need to write jpegs?
>
>Yes, for jpeg screenshots. (Perhaps this should be the default by the
>way? i.e. create a screenshotTGA command and move the screenshotJPEG
>command to screenshot. It would certainly make movie creation somewhat
>less I/O intensive).

Yeah, as pointed out elsewhere in the thread.