removing jpeglib from svn

Tim Angus tim at ngus.net
Sat Oct 8 11:50:03 EDT 2005

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 12:16:37 +1000 Jamie wrote:
> I've got a patch at bug#2408, which builds, but I haven't yet had a
> chance to test that it doesn't crash -- I plan on doing that tonight,
> but if anyone else wants to grab it and try it, feel free to do so and
> complain that it blew up.

I've mentioned before* that I don't really see the point in messing with
what already works unless you get some intrinsic (and significant)
benefit. I don't mind the idea of simply updating the jpeg source that
is there to a more recent version (providing it is done carefully), but
dynamically linking sounds like a pain we don't need. It's particularly
a problem on Windows, where you'd thereafter need to request the user to
go and find libjpeg.dll (or whatever) or distribute it with your
binary/source. This is prone to problems.

For anybody who actually wants to do something useful with the source,
Windows is the primary platform (like it or not), and it needs to be
taken into consideration.

> Does quake3 actually need to write jpegs?

Yes, for jpeg screenshots. (Perhaps this should be the default by the
way? i.e. create a screenshotTGA command and move the screenshotJPEG
command to screenshot. It would certainly make movie creation somewhat
less I/O intensive).

* http://www.quakesrc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5464