[quake3] Re: quake3 MacOS hackery, continued...

Avelino Santa Ana Jr. a2daj at mac.com
Tue Nov 29 23:09:02 EST 2005

On Nov 28, 2005, at 4:38 PM, Tim Angus wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:48:43 -0800 Avelino wrote:
>> I just ran a quick benchmark with the 1.32 id release on my Dual 2.5
>> with an X800.  With everything maximized and at 1024x768 I received
>> these scores.
>>
>> r_smp 0 = 228
>>
>> r_smp 1 = 385
>>
>> That seems like a significant boost to me.  I'm pretty sure a number
>> of Mac users would be very disappointed in Icculus Q3 if it didn't
>> support SMP.
>
> It IS a significant boost, but relatively meaningless one. It seems
> like
> an enourmous waste of effort to implement for what is essentially zero
> real world gain.

I disagree.  The SMP support in the Mac client has been around since
OmniGroup ported it to OS X.  It has always seen a boost as long as
the video card has not been the limiting factor.

For example:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/geforce3/GeForce3vs2MXvsRadeon.html

Going from 57.2 fps to 95.0 fps average was a very noticeable
difference back then.  It has also been the only way the Mac client
has been able to keep up with the PC benchmarks (I know, I know...
benchmarks...).

It's your guys project, so if you guys want to dump SMP support,
that's your decision.  But Mac users have grown accustomed to the
support being their so if it's not their anymore, well, you know Mac
users...