[quake3] OpenAL doesn't work in the latest build of Quake 3

fatty fatty at gsklan.de
Fri Nov 25 21:11:57 EST 2005

Richard Bromley wrote:
> OpenAL doesn't work for me in the latest build of Quake 3 (1.33 alpha
> 364). SDL sound still works as normal. Here's the relevent console
> output:

Current revision is 372. Do you get the same result with that version?

> Code:
> ------ Initializing Sound ------
> Failed to open OpenAL device.
> Initializing SDL audio driver...
> SDL audio driver is "dsp".
> SDL_AudioSpec:
>   Format:   AUDIO_S16LSB
>   Freq:     22050
>   Samples:  512
>   Channels: 2
> Starting SDL audio callback...
> SDL audio initialized.
> ----- Sound Info -----
>     1 stereo
> 16384 samples
>    16 samplebits
>     1 submission_chunk
> 22050 speed
> 0x8b065c0 dma buffer
> No background file.
> ----------------------
> Sound intialization successful.
> --------------------------------
>

> I have a number of other games that work with OpenAL, both games that
> have their own openal.so and ones that don't. Just in case it matters,
> here's my .openalrc:
>
> Code:
> # Contains user settings for OpenAL
> # Goes in ~/.openalrc
>
> # Use ALSA (also valid: sdl, native)
> (define devices '(alsa))
>
> # Four speaker surround with ALSA
> (define speaker-num 4)
> (define alsa-out-device "surround40:0,0")
>
> Is this solely my problem or a bug that can be fixed? Thanks for your reply.

What version of OpenAL do you have installed? Especially if you are
using ALSA's dmix plugin with OpenAL you should try the latest CVS (
http://www.openal.org ).
Don't forget that ALSA uses dmix by default if your soundcard isn't
capable of hardware audio mixing.

fatty