[quake3] Re: Q3 Source documentation

Yannick Francken yannick.francken at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 17:29:59 EST 2005

> http://www.linux.ucla.edu/~phaethon/q3mc/q3mc.html
> http://www.soclose.de/q3doc/
>
> These only really deal with the game code side of things (they predate
> the GPL release), so perhaps they aren't that much use to you.

This is indeed not exactly where I am looking for.

> I'm not aware of anybody having implemented shadow volumes in Q3 yet.

Isn't there a kind of shadow volume implemention (using the stencil
buffer) available in Q3?
I think only entities can be shadowed that way.

> There are plenty of sites explaining how on the web though, albeit not
> Q3 specific. The book (remember those? :)) "Game Programming Gems 1" has
> a relatively good article on shadow map based shadows; it may be worth a
> look.

I think the main difficulty lies in integrating the shadowing code
into the engine, not into programming the shadow volumes. This is also
explained in the "Real-time rendering book".