Q3 Source documentation

Tim Angus tim at ngus.net
Tue Nov 22 12:26:43 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:40:06 +0100 Yannick wrote:
> Of course first I have to learn about those tons of c-code. Is there
> somewhere documentation about the code available?

http://www.linux.ucla.edu/~phaethon/q3mc/q3mc.html
http://www.soclose.de/q3doc/

These only really deal with the game code side of things (they predate
the GPL release), so perhaps they aren't that much use to you.

> Or are there already
> possibilities in the engine to project a movie (with shadows where
> occluded). Or are there people who wants to cooperate with me for
> implementing some common techniques?

I'm not aware of anybody having implemented shadow volumes in Q3 yet.
There are plenty of sites explaining how on the web though, albeit not
Q3 specific. The book (remember those? :)) "Game Programming Gems 1" has
a relatively good article on shadow map based shadows; it may be worth a
look.