Mac work...

Tim Angus tim at ngus.net
Tue Nov 22 12:45:18 EST 2005

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 10:42:13 -0500 Ryan wrote:
> I spent some time moving the Mac version to the Makefiles and SDL, in
> hopes that we can eventually have one codepath for all platforms, more
> or less.

Yay.

> This still needs some work, and there's some other things addressed in
> this patch that aren't necessarily Mac-specific (dlopen is replaced
> with  SDL_LoadObject and SDL_GL_LoadLibrary, etc)...if anyone wants to
> take a  look at the current state, here's the patch.

> +  BASE_CFLAGS += -DMACOS_X=1 -fno-common -faltivec

I noticed while poking about with the Xcode build (via pearpc) that
MACOS_X is defined by the build system. This seems a bit poo. Does any
body know what the "definitive" OS X define is? A cursory glance over
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2071.html suggests there
isn't one!

> -#include "qasm.h"
>
> -
>  #if	id386
> +#include "qasm.h"

I'm not sure I understand this. id386 is (indirectly) defined by qasm.h,
so moving the #include to after the #if means that the contents of the
#if will never been seen -- on any platform. A powerpc build should not
#be including these files anyway since they are x86.

> There are still broken things...debug builds are hosed if you use
> Altivec (presumably for alignment reasons, etc)

It looks as if the Altivec build is fairly broken in general (and has
been since day 1). It would be nice if somebody skilled in the ways of
__VEC__  could take a look at it, but it seems Mac developers are thin
on the ground.