[quake2] Porting latest Quake2Max to Linux

Florian Westphal flo.westphal at gmx.net
Mon Jul 14 19:22:13 EDT 2003

Karen Pouelle <hockeyvixen at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> I'm not programer - I'd thought the tutorial I sent would be enough for you
> to make the few lines of code changes required.

It should be trivial to do, even for me ;-)

The only reasons I am not doing it are:

* the code assumes that there are no filenames longer than 127 Bytes.
  Is that assumption correct? I don't think so, but then I am not sure what
  to do about it.
  use strncpy and truncate the filename? (obviously pointless)
  malloc() a buffer?
  use an arbitrary limit for a maximum filename length and refuse longer
  ones?

* the code assumes that filenames are not shorter than 4 Byte.

* Where does the stuff _really_ go?
  For example there are two GL_LoadPic() Versions, one in
  "src/ref_gl/gl_image.c", the other in
  "src/ref_candygl/gl_image.c"
  Should both be changed?

Well, this looks like three good reasons to let someone more competent
than me do it.

BTW, I couldn't find any instructions on how to get the new textures (and how to
install them.)

Florian