[q2x] OT: Lua questions

Brian Hook hook_l at pyrogon.com
Sun Feb 8 23:11:55 EST 2004

> I suppose part of my motivation for tackling the game part is to
> play Q2 with Lua monsters!

Well, there's still a lot of interesting game-specific stuff that
isn't monsters, e.g. weapons.  Lua weapons would be fun as well =)

> Is there anything in CTF that would have to be merged into the game
> dll to allow CTF functionality to be done in the game DLL. i.e. you
> dont want to have multiple DLLs with a Lua scripted game, you just
> want to swap the Lua scripts.

CTF is just a separate game DLL, i.e. game_ctfx86.dll or something
like that.

> Guess the noise levels are rising about the Lua C API.

You mean the fact that it's poorly documented and confusing? =)

> emails asking questions now. Should try and fill in some blanks on
> the wiki about Lua C programming.

the lua_pcall thing is a big one, it seems like that has caused a lot
of confusion for people (myself included).

> I have this crazy idea about
> writing a book about it at the moment.

Go for it!  It's hard work with little payoff, but hey, you can you're
published, and it increases your marketability on the off chance you
end up out on the open market someday.

Roberto's book is "pretty good", but it's, um, "concise".  It could
have really stood to be twice its size covering the same area.  Common
Lua idioms are something that people don't know enough about.

Brian