[q2x] Refactorization

Nick Trout nicktrout at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 12 13:10:14 EST 2003

> I'm in the midst of a gnarly global update (s/byte/qbyte).  Bleh.

You'd think we'd have better tools for this these days wouldn't you?! Global
renaming and context aware renaming etc. What are you using?

> Anyway, opinions on whether to keep the software renderer or not?  I'm
pretty torn about this.

I suppose the Quake s/w renderer is kind of nostalgic because it was the
first game to have such advanced 3d features. But, you're right, even the
most basic 3d cards these days ($40!) can render Q2 no problem, so I'd have
to say cut it. I'm quite happy to leave the call entirely up to you though.
I'm not a PC assembler guru so I couldn't add features or maintain it. If we
went with the GL one (which lets face it GL is the new gfx baseline) we
could add new features. I know isnt a goal of this project, but it would be
nice to have the option.

> (unfortunately, PCX support would still have to remain because a lot
of stock assets are still in PCX form).

Eventually, perhaps we could supply a whole new pack file with different
assets to avoid licensing problems. We could ask some artists to get
involved?

> BTW, the missing asset error messages were the result of a bug in
physics fs which has been fixed.

Great. I'll try and build that sometime soon.

Nick