[q2x] Lua

Brian Hook hook_l at pyrogon.com
Wed May 14 21:33:43 EDT 2003

>What's out of date: The SDL stuff? Are there any plans to update
>this soon?

I think so.  Also, not sure if the "blessed" Lua distro is 5.0 or
5.0alpha yet.

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/ABI/glext.h

>Agreed. Wouldn't it be simpler to go all Lua?

Depends on what you mean by "simpler"?  It would probably be cleaner
to go 100% Lua, but that would be a full jumping in on the task
instead of consistently having a fallback to the C version.  I happen
to like having an alternate verification system at all times, I think
that makes the porting that much easier.

>So I'll either have to be patient or maybe I should just fork the
>quake2 project rather than q2x.

Right, but since you're interested, I'll get on Dan's case and see
what the situation is with the SDL port.

>No Lua code in the src/server?

Right.  The goal is to use Lua, initially, for the game scripting.
Once we're comfortable with that level of integration, then

>It would be nice to have a unified
>cvar/cmd system, rather than a layered system, i.e. Lua sat on cmd.
>Seems a bit inefficient, maybe confusing, writing a binding to call
>cmds or having 2 binding systems?

At the outset there will be some overlap and confusion, but hopefully
the final result will be mostly Lua, as you state.  Replacing the
cvar system by itself would be trivial to do in a non-destructive
manner.  If you'd like to give that a shot as a first step, that
would be very reasonable, since it doesn't impact anything else and
there's already a clean interface to the cvar system (ri.cvar*,
Cvar_*, etc.).

>>As for a Wiki, I'm not sure we're quite there yet. =)

>Are you sure? You could have left all your forethoughts as a
>reminder to you and a guide for others! :-)

Bah, that only weakens the mind =)

Brian