[q2x] Lua

Brian Hook hook_l at pyrogon.com
Wed May 14 17:25:15 EDT 2003

>I got the latest code from CVS, mirrored your MSVC project workspace
>structure, and built q2x. The software version runs just fine.

I'm not sure how up to date the q2x code base is.

>couldn't get the GL version to compile because of a missing
>"GL/glext.h" file. I can't seem to find this file anywhere.

you'll have to hunt for it somewhere on sgi.com  If you can't find it
there, let me know and I'll try to dig it up.

Dan Olson, who should also be getting these messages (Dan, you
alive?), also wanted to dork with the Lua implementation, but until
the SDL stuff is done (*cough*) I'm really hesitant to push ahead on
anything at this point.

Getting the "single SDL source" version up and running is our base
camp we're trying to achieve.

www.q2x.org in case you haven't seen it

My general plan has been to maintain the C game capability in
parallel with the Lua functionality.  They'll adhere to the same API
that's in place now, the difference is when you load up the Lua
version, it starts up the Lua VM and loads up the game in .lua files.

Doing this incrementally will take a lot of forethought, which I had
done at some point but since been distracted away from =)

My general idea was that the base version would:

1.  have the rest of the dir tree cleaned up
2.  have the rest of the code cleaned up, including SDL-ified

Once we were happy with the general structure, THEN we'd shove in Lua
functionality a bit at a time, bottom up on the game side.

>Are there any details on the "luagame" module mentioned on the q2x
>description page? Where were you thinking of drawing the binding
>line?

The binding line would be below that of the actual game API as
defined by Q2.  This way a q2x server itself would not need Lua in
any form, which I think would be a nice break line.

As for a Wiki, I'm not sure we're quite there yet. =)

Brian