[q2x] cvars

Nick Trout nick at rockstarvancouver.com
Tue Dec 16 17:06:31 EST 2003

> Will be doing more work next few days as I have some time coming up.
> Nearly finished the GL DLL conversion and then will be onto the scary
> task of debugging it. Hey, maybe it will just _work_ :-D

I've put an API to alter the cvar structure, so the whole cvar structure
is private. My initial idea, was that cvar seems like an obvious thing
to store in Lua, but it could be stored either side. This could be done
either way now with little effort: cvars stored in C with Lua API
exposed, or cvars stored in Lua with Lua C API from C to game.

How do you see this project going Brian? Performance allowing, as much
as possible into Lua, leaving a skeleton q2x framework? I know in one of
your posts you mentioned that in order to do a "proper" game engine work
over it would mean altering the client and server, as well as the game
DLL. I suppose the idea is stripping the framework right down to a few
bare libraries wrapping the coms, graphics, i/o etc and do everything in
Lua? I'm interested because it might affect my decisions. I hope this
isn't a repeated question.

Thanks,
Nick