[q2x] Alive

Brian Hook hook_l at pyrogon.com
Fri Aug 8 15:39:17 EDT 2003

> Io does look quite interesting and two of the principles, Steve
> Dekorte and Edgar Toernig were regular contributors to the Lua list
> a couple of years ago.

Right.  In fact, I learned about it because Steve posted to the Lua
list about it.

> it looks like the syntax and feature set are still in flux. Whilst

Definitely, so I'm going to go with Lua 5.x.

How familiar are you with the Q2 code base/way of doing things?

> WRT Lua GC, the trick is to try and avoid creating objects at
> runtime to avoid forcing a collection.

Yeah, this is what some game developers have done, but that somewhat
begs the point of automatic memory management -- for me, I use GC when
I don't want to _think_ about memory management, period.  It's still
easier to use Lua-style GC than it is to use C-style malloc/free, but
it's still not the holy grail of "just do it".

Brian