[pyddr-discuss] EMS USB2 Adaptor

Richard Smith spam_all_you_want at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 07:07:44 EDT 2003

--- Geoffrey White <geoffwidag at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> I would really like your help on this one... I've
> purchased the US$16 EMS adaptor (meaning about
> AU$56!)
> and plugged it in and found it not working!

Have you tried:
jstest /dev/js0
?

> DOH!
> I'm
> running Debian, and have compiled my kernel (2.4.21)
> including all the following options linked into the
> kernel.

You might be better using modules rather than
compiling things into the kernel.  I can't get any of
my USB devices to work unless I use modules.

> the usb view program shows that the device is
> connected, however it recognises it as an unknown
> HID
> device.

That is normal for usbview.  You need to check
/var/log/messages.  You should get this:

Aug 23 11:57:19 raingod kernel: input1: USB HID v1.00
Joystick [0b43:0003] on usb2:2.0
Aug 23 11:57:22 raingod /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup
hid for USB product b43/3/1912

Obviously that is assuming you have the hid module
already loaded.

> Is this possibly because it is a slightly
> newer version of the EMS USB2?  If so perhaps we
> need
> to update the web page recommending this device or
> more likely update the hotplug devices?  I'm really
> not sure.  Below is a list of the usb driver found
> in
> the /proc/bus/usb/drivers file if that helps.

That all looks normal.  Have you tried:
modprobe joydev
?

> Oh
> yeah, the light on my EMS USB2 lights consistent
> red.

That is normal.  Be sure the switch on the side is set
to 'PC'.

--
Richard