[pyddr-devel] Performance, frame rate, and judging

Dean Brettle dean at brettle.com
Sun Jul 18 15:47:34 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 22:48, Dean Brettle wrote:
<snip>
> I'll let you know when I have something worth reviewing.

Well, I feel pretty stupid...  The real problem was that I was running
at 24bpp instead of 16bpp.  I thought I'd already changed that, but I
guess not.  Running at 16bpp, I get 50 FPS with no changes at all!
(BTW, it turns out that my poorer than expected scores weren't due to
insufficient polling but were instead caused by a flaky dance pad...).

FWIW, I implemented the changes I mentioned earlier before I realized
what the real problem was.  The changes did increase the polling
precision, and I can send you a patch if you think it might be useful in
the future, but I'm guessing it's pretty pointless since my machine is
probably one of the slowest anyone would try to play on.  For future
reference, splitting the screen update into multiple smaller updates did
work as expected.  I only started seeing a significant drop in frame
rate  when I broke it into a *lot* of smaller updates (eg 20).

--Dean