[pyddr-devel] new song selector

Joe Wreschnig piman at debian.org
Fri May 2 17:28:03 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 18:30, theGREENzebra wrote:
> > I checked in the start of some code and image for a new song selector
> > and generic file parser (fileparsers.py and songselect.py). None of it
> > is used in the main pyDDR code yet, but it does run, pretty quickly.
>
> I saw it. Looking good so far. Did you zoom the small banners yet? I think
> that would be a good idea..

Nope. It still needs a lot of eye-candy work.

> > probably double before I'm done; right now the parser just keeps the
> > lines in the .step file for the step data, and I still need to write a
> > parser to normalize that.
>
> yeah, it's not easy to load in lots of songs and parse them all =]
>
> however, this is on your effective p3-500, right, so I guess I should expect
> better performance once it's done =]

Right. This task is entirely disk and CPU bound, no graphics issues, so
new processors should be tons faster.

> We need support for the following games and their respective modes:

re. the difficulty setting (separate from the game type), the parser
already handles those totally independently of any preset list (although
it does use a preset list for sorting).

As for the game types, the song selector "deals" with them right now by
filtering out anything that's not tagged SINGLE.

> We should support para and another game at the same time, even for one
> player, therefore requiring them to move both their hands and feet.

This is way too complicated to be thinking about it more than
peripherally right now.

> song selector issues
> --------------------
> we'll need to figure out a good way to switch "game modes". we could steal
> ideas from CPD and go with a "style" selection mode as shown in
> http://cpd.sourceforge.net/images/style.png but I think we should more go
> for the last button on the mat (or select and move random to another button)
>   to switch games inside the selector, and then it will just move the
> player's difficulty to the closest match (maniac DDR switches to crazy PIU,
> etc).

This is probably the best solution for now, although I don't see us
supporting (or wanting to support) different game types for at least 4-5
more releases.

> another thing that only about 190487 people harass me about a day is
> implementing a modifier screen into songselect, which I do think is a good
> idea.

This is possible and probably easy (just bring up a menu in the song
select), but will take some time.

> We could just save and reload the configuration file for the changes
> to work properly.

I said this on IRC, but for those that missed it, this isn't a
configuration file problem per se. It's a problem with pyDDR creating
things like sprites at the wrong time, so they don't change when the
configuration does.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman at debian.org>