[physfs] Mounting Archive from within an archive

Indy Sams indy at driftsolutions.com
Fri Aug 13 16:49:03 EDT 2010

Hello Christian,

	Instead of having a bunch of archives within archives, you may just want to put all the mission ones inside of a folder and just mount them them to missions/ when you need the one for that mission then unmount it when you are done with it. You'll have more loose files but since they won't be all mounted at the same time you shouldn't loose much efficiency.

C> Hey Christoph,

C> Thanks for your reply. I feared that this would be the case but well, "if you
C> don't ask you won't know", I guess. :)

C> Well I at least came up with an idea on how to solve this. I don't know if I'm
C> going to implement this idea but IF I would do it like this:

C> Even if I cannout mount the file I can check pretty good if it is located in an
C> archive or in physical form in the "missions/" directory.
C> If it's in an archive I probably just  read out the HOG and write it to
C> "missions/" physically. In short: extracting the file. If the mission is
C> unloading, this temporary HOG could be removed/deleted/overwritten.

C> Anyways thanks for the help!

C> Best regards,
C> Christian

>> Am 12.08.2010 22:15, schrieb Christian:
>> > So is it even possible what I am trying to do here?

>> No, this cannot work. The supported archives are all hardwired to use
>> the platform-specific file I/O functions, so "chaining" or cascading is
>> not supported. The files made available by PHYSFS cannot used by PHYSFS
>> itself, it just not looks for them.

>> Kind Regards

>> Christoph

Best regards,
 Indy Sams
 mailto:indy at driftsolutions.com

 P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q & R were eliminated.