[physfs] Adding Support for Custom Archives

Christoph Nelles evilazrael at evilazrael.de
Fri Aug 6 04:18:12 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 08:09:40 +0100, Oli Wilkinson <oli at evolutional.co.uk>
wrote:
> And if you do make your changes, what would you do with them? Would you
> release your /own/ branch of Phys? I agree that these changes would be
> nice, but it sounds like you'd be better off rolling out a quick library
> of your own that contains the functionality that you need rather than
> retro fit them into a library that wasn't designed to support them.

I don't think that writing such a library can be done in short time. You
have to design, develop and debug a lot of stuff. Personally i trust in the
proved code of Physfs. Do you know all the platform-dependent stuff e.g.
for Win CE?
And i think replacing some static code in Physfs by dynamical code takes
much less time than the task of rewriting the full library. I see there two
big parts in doing this: Exporting the platform-dependent functions with
some nice names or stupid nice name wrappers in a first attempt and
replacing and adding a few lines of code to replace the internal static
array of archivers with a dynamically one (list? realloc?). That's not so
much work and not to much redesign.

My primary goal is the ability to compile files into my executables which
can be used in the same manner as files on the HDD and possibly overriden
by files there, or vice versa. And perhaps a very basic NFS for transfering
scenarios or something within game over the network. There a lot of usages
and possibilities.
Having multiple write directories would be nice, too, but that's not so
important to me. From what i saw in Physfs i would never dare to think
about implementing this.

So why reinventing the wheel?

Kind Regards

Christoph

--
Christoph Nelles

E-Mail    : evilazrael at evilazrael.de
Jabber    : eazrael at evilazrael.net      ICQ       : 78819723

PGP-Key   : ID 0x424FB55B on subkeys.pgp.net
            or http://evilazrael.net/pgp.txt