[physfs] Adding Support for Custom Archives

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Fri Aug 6 01:47:39 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-05 at 11:15 +0200, Christoph Nelles wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 18:21:56 -0700, Kip Warner <kip at thevertigo.com> wrote:
> > That sounds like a great idea, but I am confronted with a dilemma. As
> > you say, you have some things to sort out in personal life, so I don't
> > know how long before we see a pluginable interface being available. So I
> > either have to include a static snapshot into my source and patch that,
> > or wait and use the newer 2.1 interface. Either way, they both involve
> > some important design decisions that I need to make quickly.
>
> i need/want the same functionality, too. I will work on it soon (1-2
> weeks). Currently I am busy with cleaning up the error handling stuff and
> after finishing that, i will go on. I don't know if Ryan will like the
> work. And in the end, if it's not becoming official, it won't solve your
> and my problem of an independent maintenance as as library.
>
> Btw. Ryan is not very release happy and all non-bugfix changes have gone
> into a development branch and i haven't seen any packages using that
> branch. It looks like everybody is relying on the stable branches. So until
> there will be a new "stable" branch, compiling your own version in may be
> the only solution.

Hey Christoph. To quote some of my friends, I'm "stoked" you're doing
that. Majorly needed and I'm surprised a pluginable archive interface
wasn't in there right from the get go. There isn't really any other way
to get an obscure, ad hoc, resource format for a game engine in there.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred