[physfs] Adding Support for Custom Archives

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Wed Aug 4 21:21:56 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 14:30 -0400, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> You could just include the PhysicsFS source with your project (this was
> the intention, as most targets don't have the luxury of relying on a
> Debian package).

I could do that, but there are two problems with that. (1) I really
prefer to rely on the package manager. (2) I could add it as an svn
extern (I'm using svn), but your repository is git and I wouldn't know
how to reconcile the two attractively.

> One of the goals for PhysicsFS 2.1 is to allow for external archivers, but
> this work hasn't started yet. I'll probably spend time doing major updates
> to PhysicsFS in a month or two after things calm down around my house.

That sounds like a great idea, but I am confronted with a dilemma. As
you say, you have some things to sort out in personal life, so I don't
know how long before we see a pluginable interface being available. So I
either have to include a static snapshot into my source and patch that,
or wait and use the newer 2.1 interface. Either way, they both involve
some important design decisions that I need to make quickly.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred