[physfs] Two Linux problems

Henk Boom henk at henk.ca
Mon Jul 6 14:19:01 EDT 2009

2009/7/6 Thorbjørn Lindeijer <bjorn at lindeijer.nl>:
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 18:27, Henk Boom<henk at henk.ca> wrote:
>> The other problem that I ran into is that ~ isn't expanded to the
>> user's home directory during the path search, so if I put the
>> executable into ~/local/bin/, and put '~local/bin/' in my path rather
>> than the full path, it's not found.
>
> Here I can say that expanding ~ to your home directory is the
> responsibility of your shell, and you don't have a shell. To get this
> behaviour, you could use the HOME environment variable manually, for
> example. Or, since you're using PhysFS already anyway, use
> PHYSFS_getUserDir.

Hi, thanks for the reply!

I'm not suggesting that I'm trying to use the ~ shorthand in my
program, of course I would use PHYSFS_getUserDir for that.  What I
meant to say is that if the user has a PATH environment variable which
uses ~ in some of the components (for example, by setting it in their
.bashrc), physfs will not search those directories when looking for
the executable.

    Henk