[physfs] PhysicsFS 2.1 roadmap...

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Wed Apr 8 03:06:04 EDT 2009

> Anyway, the project I made this *for* never got anywhere, but MIO
> itself worked great.

Hah...that's basically where PhysicsFS came from. I was writing this
totally awesome physics engine, and all I managed to finish in it were
the file routines.  :)

Hence the standalone library (and the strange name).

> Oh also, how likely would you say it'd be for PhysFS to replace RWops
> in SDL 1.3 and friends?  Just basic streams, with support for pulling in

Unlikely, but we already allow bridging to RWops (see the extras
directory for code). I don't think SDL would want to provide this in the
core library.

What I'm planning for this file i/o layer in 2.1 sounds a little like
your MIO project, although it will probably be less elegant than what
MIO sounds like. It will allow for things like archives in memory,
archives in archives, filtering of files/streams, etc, but the
application will probably have to wire up the specific functions it
needs for it.