[physfs] Packaging programs using PhysFS + ...

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Fri May 16 11:30:09 EDT 2003

> Isn't this already allowed with the LGPL? I thought I could do it as
> long as I provide a mean for the user to recompile my stuff wh any new
> version of the library. And as my game is a GPL one, that wouldn't be a
> problem.

Oh, I didn't realize that; yes, if you're source code is available so
people can rebuild it themselves, you can statically link PhysicsFS, and
this becomes your best bet for distributing binary packages at this point
in time.

> > > While I'm at it... I hope it'll be included in SDL2.0... Any hope for
> > > this?
> >
> > No.
>
> Why not?

Because it would bloat SDL. Those that need the functionality of both can
use both, but to add it to SDL would really just be gluing together two
libraries with different semantics for the sole purpose of wider
adoption/distribution of PhysicsFS.