[openbox] Custom window title bar

D.T. ohnonot-github at posteo.de
Thu Mar 9 15:26:57 EST 2023

On Thu, 2023-03-09 at 17:51 +0100, Johan Vromans wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Mar 2023 14:32:04 +0000, "Russell Belair"
> <russell.belair at dreamlan.biz> wrote:
>
> > This is not a function native to openbox, but you can accomplish it
> > with
> > xdotool and wmctrl.
> >
> > https://askubuntu.com/questions/634034/display-the-current-date-time-in-the-windows-title
>
> Cute, but they all fail to remove the date (restore the original
> title) when
> the window loses focus. So you end up with a desktop full of frozen
> clocks
> ;).

This is not something I have ever come across, but it should be
possible.
Essentially, you'd have to write yourself a daemon script that
constantly checks all windows, removes the time from those that don't
have focus, and sets it on the one that has focus. Under X11, there's
various utilities that would allow to modify a window's properties.
Xdotool is one, but xdo is another one. There was also something
slightly more low-level, but the name eludes me atm. starts with x of
course. Maybe check "xorg-utils" or "x11-utils".
Personally, I wouldn't use python since it constantly spawns external
commands, a shell script seems more suitable in such a case, but who
knows.

A much easier alternative would be a pipemenu for one of your menus.