[openbox] How do I set up openbox?

u34 at net9.ga u34 at net9.ga
Sat Jun 3 17:22:32 EDT 2023

Alessandro Vesely <vesely at tana.it> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I don't recall what did I do to set up openbox.  Now I want to set up another
> PC and I'm unable to find out any hint.  The Help:Getting_started wiki page
> talks about cases I never saw.
>
> On my PC, I see openbox started by lightdm.  However, the string "openbox"
> appears nowhere in /etc/lightdm/*.  There is a directory /etc/xdg/openbox, but
> I'm not clear if/how it gets involved.

That directory will probably get involved after openbox start running.

> On the new PC there's xfce.  It is started by slim.  I installed openbox and
> all suggested packages.  However, lightdm is not installed.  Does it make a
> difference?
>
> (Both PCs run Devuan, a Debian variant, in case that matters.)
>
> On the new PC, the alternatives settings was already pointing at openbox for
> the x-window-manager, but x-session-manager was xfce.  I switched to openbox
> and rebooted.  That did change the desktop.  Still running slim.
>
> Is there a site which explains which is which as if I were 5?
>
> TIA
> Ale

I don't know a particular site. I guess that Dauven, Debian, Ubuntu, the
internet in general, have good, and bad, channels for this kind of problem.
It could be you should start with searching the way to change xfce default
window manager, rather then openbox in particular. Or an introductory, or
advanced, guide to xfce.

--
u34