[openbox] How do I set up openbox?

Alessandro Vesely vesely at tana.it
Sat Jun 3 13:25:58 EDT 2023

Hi all,

I don't recall what did I do to set up openbox.  Now I want to set up another
PC and I'm unable to find out any hint.  The Help:Getting_started wiki page
talks about cases I never saw.

On my PC, I see openbox started by lightdm.  However, the string "openbox"
appears nowhere in /etc/lightdm/*.  There is a directory /etc/xdg/openbox, but
I'm not clear if/how it gets involved.

On the new PC there's xfce.  It is started by slim.  I installed openbox and
all suggested packages.  However, lightdm is not installed.  Does it make a
difference?

(Both PCs run Devuan, a Debian variant, in case that matters.)

On the new PC, the alternatives settings was already pointing at openbox for
the x-window-manager, but x-session-manager was xfce.  I switched to openbox
and rebooted.  That did change the desktop.  Still running slim.

Is there a site which explains which is which as if I were 5?

TIA
Ale