[openbox] Workspaces and specific location launching

Johan Vromans jvromans at squirrel.nl
Fri Aug 20 07:26:18 EDT 2021

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 07:11:06 -0300, Luciano ES <lucmove at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know if the window position can be passed through a single
> shell command line. I don't think that's possible, but I'm not sure.

This depends on the program being executed, in particular the toolkit that
this program uses. In any case, the size and positioning (the geometry) is
passed to the program, and the program is responsible for requesting the
Window system.

In the old days, the X11 and Xt toolkits were leading, practically all
programs supported this. Unfortunately, with the newer window- and session
managers it was decided to leave it to the window/session manager. And
supporting the command line geometry arguments became more and more extinct.

-- Johan