[openbox] set working directory when starting Openbox

Mathias Dufresne mathias.dufresne at gmail.com
Thu May 22 12:02:16 EDT 2014

I don't use xinit and I never used it but I expect your issue is in the
chain of processes running between your login and the apparition of openbox.

All I can say is if I create the 2 files as you described then run a
startx, I have the same behaviour than you: a full launch of openbox, which
set up a new environment for my user session which set up my default
directory to my homedir.
Once more, for me this is a normal behaviour: new session, new environment.

And what happen during that time, I have no idea. You can use this command
line to generate awfully huge logs:
strace exec openbox-session > /your/path/to/openbox.log 2>
/your/path/to/openbox.strace

the first ">" is to get standard logs (those sent to the console)
the second is to get stderr which is used by strace which should tell you
alsmot all what happens during the launch time.

And finally, if your goal is only to have your user thrown into /tmp after
bash is launched in interactive mode, modify your .bashrc.

Cheers,

mat